Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Electro Sexual

LADYTRON at the Commodore Ballroom Tuesday April 25th:
By Sarshar Hosseinnia
Turning up fashionably late at the Commodore on a warm Spring Tuesday, I really didn't know what to expect.Once again, I had entrusted my friend John's judgment, just as I had done when we went to the We Are Scientists gig. And once again, I was impressed!!!Nervously walking in just as the band, named after the hit single by Brit-suave 70's band Roxy Music and made up of two female singers, a female bass player, an oriental-English keyboard player, one drummer and a guitarist, were bopping into their opening song, I felt intrigued by what the band had to offer, and also surprised by the sound. Throw in the rhythm of New Order, a touch of the Killers' melody, and the singer from Metric times a million, and you had Ladytron.The band were touring their 2005 album, Witching Hour, but chose to include songs from all three of their albums, which featured hard-hitting edgy tunes such as International Dateline, Skools Out ... and Blue Jeans from their debut album 604 released in 2001.It was clear that it was party time at the Commodore, and that sentiment was shared with the 1500 or so free-spirited party animals who shared every beat of the music with their British guests. The sexy synth-almost pop sound created rode a wave with the audience who sang along with such well-known lyrically accurate hits as Jet Age and Commodore Rock, how ironic it was then that the Liverpool-based band concluded the nights proceedings with that very tune, and left the audience feeling satisfied on a sensuous spring evening.

No comments: